Saturday, April 23, 2011

Roasted Tomato, Asparagus, and Basil Pasta

This morning I decided to make a pasta for lunch. I looked through my favorite cook book, America's Test Kitchen Family Cook Book (the healthy version). As I looked I tried to place what ingredients we already had; I came across a roasted tomato pasta. I altered the recipe a bit and added asparagus since we had some and I didn't want it to go bad. Here is my version of their recipe:

Ingredients:
4 cups cherry tomatoes
1/2 lb. asparagus
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
3 garlic cloves (minced)
1 teaspoon sugar
1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
12 oz. whole wheat penne pasta
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
1/4 cup shredded fresh basil (I picked ours straight from the garden!)
Salt
Pepper
Garlic Powder

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Toss the tomatoes with oil, vinegar, garlic, sugar, red pepper flakes, salt, pepper, in a large bowl.

2. Spread the tomatoes over a rimmed baking sheet. Roast for 15 minutes. While the tomatoes are roasting, chop the asparagus into 3 equal parts. Toss with olive oil, salt, pepper, and garlic powder.

3. After the tomatoes have roasted for 15 minutes add the asparagus to the pan gently.


4. Return the pan to the oven and roast for 15 minutes more. While the veggies are roasting, boil salted water and cook the pasta. Strain and place in a bowl with about 1 tablespoon olive oil. Stir in the parmesan and basil.

5. Carefully stir in the roasted tomatoes and asparagus. Make sure to scrape the pan to get all the garlic bits. Top with a little bit more parmesan.

No comments:

Post a Comment